Sunday, November 25, 2007

We’re starting with my favorite delicatessen, PJ’s Deli. PJ’s has delicious, fresh sandwiches made with high quality meats, cheeses and condiments. You can name your own sandwich combination and select the type of bread you want. They also have large baked potatoes with a variety of toppings. My favorite is chicken salad with cheese sauce – this has got to be super fattening so if you are watching it, you may want to split this. PJ’s has delicious soups that vary but they always have chicken noodle, vegetable and matzoh ball. In the winter, their chili is perfectly seasoned, the right consistency, and can be topped with freshly shredded cheddar cheese to provide some creamy mellow-ness.

One of the best features of PJ’s Deli is the salad bar. Salad bars were once popular and every restaurant seemed to offer one. Now, very few restaurants offer salad bars and if they do, there are not many toppings to choose. PJ’s has over 30 toppings and homemade specialty salads like seafood salad, the best potato salad in Toledo, macaroni salad, cole-slaw, tuna-mac, spaghetti salad, pea and bacon salad, waldorf salad, and my favorite, broccoli salad!

If you’re planning a meeting or gathering, PJ’s has great catering trays and box lunches. They are located at 500 Madison Avenue, at Superior, in the basement of the Spitzer building. Sometimes parking can be challenging but it is fun (and healthy) to walk the streets of downtown Toledo. Their website is
www.pjsdeli.net

I should probably disclose to you that PJ (Polly Jo) is my cousin and she lets me eat there for free. I would probably eat there more often if I had to pay but I often feel bad not paying so I try to limit my free meals.

No comments: